Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Recognition for Z Scale.

More
15 years 5 months ago #382 by tealplanes
Recognition for Z Scale. was created by tealplanes
Greetings Z scalers all over the world,

This is an opportunity for any who want, to step up to the plate and contribute to the growth of Z scale.

I realize this takes time, effort, and writing and photography skills, but some of us can do what is called for to help this hobby grow in popularity and recognition.

The below is also on Z Yahoo site......

Recently Steve Schulman wrote a letter about an article he saw concerning recognition of Z scale. Here it is.....

"Greetings once again from Oregon. In looking over the 'President's Car' column and the 'Observation Car' column in the current (October 2008) issue of Scale Rails. Stephen Priest in his article title "Size Does Matter," discusses how much more you can do with N as opposed to HO.

Mike Brestel writes about the survey the NMRA is conducting with 'some very nice prizes in a variety of scales from N to large Scale.

The letter Z is not even used in either column.
All of this is against a backdrop of the fact that Z SCALE took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in the module contest; the active Z SCALE volcano which erupted every 20 minuets and drew crowds from all corners of the building; and that on one Z SCALE module there was an actual roadway with moving cars (something not done in any other scale at the NTS).
I think it is high time that Zee got more than a passing nod from the NMRA. We in Zee have arrived and proven the viability of the scale."

Steve sent it to me and we both responded to the article writer.
Below is the response we both got.........

Steve and Loren,

"Wow, what passion! I really like the enthusiasm you portray! However, I don' think you are really looking at the entire picture. So, let me help paint it for you. First off, Z is still a very minority scale.
That is not to say it does not merit attention and coverage. Here in Kansas City there are no Z scale layouts that I am aware of, and I am VERY active in model railroading here, our hobby shops do not even carry Z in their stock. I do know that Micro-trains is creating beautifully detailed cars in Z but I have as of yet to find anyone to review them. So, here is your challenge. First, I need a Z scale reviewer. We receive about 5 cars per month from Micro-trains. We have never received locomotives, structures or anything else from any other manufacturer. So, we cannot review any of those products which is unfortunate. So, if one of you wants to step up and review the some of the Z scale we have in stock, I would be honored and you would get some z scale representation. Secondly, I have Zero articles on hand that deal with Z scale. So my challenge to you is get writing and photographing. I will gladly print any well-written article with good photography that deals with Z, your challenge is to produce it. That
is where our articles come from: YOU.

Our staff does not create the articles you see in Scale Rails, we print what we receive. I do not have a bias nor do I really have a preference. Model railroading is model railroading, it is the membership that creates the flavor of
Scale Rails and no one is writing about Z. If that offends you, I am truly sorry but that is the hard truth. So change that. I will anticipate several articles from both of you this year. You can change this course and create representation for your scale.

As for my editorial, I have never worked in Z scale, but I have built layouts in N and HO. Not much I can do about that. That is my preference and my right just as it is your right to model in Z scale. My editorials reflect my personal experiences, my life. Up to now, Z has not been a part of that. I cannot write about what I have not experienced. This has nothing to do with bias, preference but not bias."

Here is another response from Mike Brestel, NMRA president.....

"No, there are no Z models included in the prizes to be awarded for participation in the convention survey. This is because the prizes were donated to us, and the companies that donated them didn't give us any Z models.

I saw the beautiful Z scale layouts that were on display in Anaheim and was very impressed. Obviously the module judges were impressed, too. Indeed, I imagine everyone who was at the show was impressed with the high quality of work being done in Z these days.

Most of the work the NMRA does is done by volunteers. The articles that appear in our magazine are written by passionate modelers, usually working in their favorite scale. If passionate Z scalers do not write articles about their work, their models, and their layouts, there will be no articles to print in Scale Rails about Z scale. Given the high quality of current Z modeling, it's a shame that more modelers are not writing articles and taking publication-quality photos."

Mike Brestel
NMRA president

The bottom line is that if we Z scalers write well written articles and submit high quality photos of some good Z modeling,we may see our favorite scale benefit by our efforts.

Steve and I have been charged with the task of publishing several articles this coming year....we have to put our money where our mouth is.

So, anyone and everyone interested can do likewise.

Go out and create, photograph, and write about it and SUBMIT

Loren
Z Train Things

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #383 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
Yep, I see that we are going to have to write articles. Then, get the specific address to send Z photos too, now that we have some attention from the top. Jürg's collection of photos along with some others out there like Bob Mitchell, Michael Duggan, Torsja etc. that have some excellent photos to represent Z. I am telling you, if you just present an article concept like "what it is Z" or even "Intro into another world" with nothing but a few pages of these Z pix with a single sentence at the end " .....oh, by the way, this is Z ! "

If someone could over see the collection that we can all write whatever we can, keep requesting, pushing, asking and get those up onto the site(s) for others to be inspired, we should be able to start submitting some culmination of them to the various. I owe one the local Pacific Coast NMRA and at NTS, we have the name of the MRR Great MR Layouts calendar guy that wanted pix for the 2010 calendar.

Jeff

More
15 years 5 months ago #387 by wslco
Replied by wslco on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
For those of you who need an address for Scale Rails.

Scale Rails Editorial Office
Stephen M. Priest, editor
5106-A NW Waukomis Dr.
Northmoor, MO 64151
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I know that there's enough great Z modeling out there to "bury" not only Scale Rails but also Model Railroader and Model Railroad Craftsman. The Springfield Module that Jurg and Torsja did would be a natural "how-to" article with almost no editing.
--Steve from the other Phoenix

More
15 years 5 months ago #388 by jlundy46
Replied by jlundy46 on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
I noticed that in the December Model Railroader, one of the Trackside Photos was of Thomas Mann's Z layout and 50' boxcars. I don't ever remember seeing Z scale in that section of the magazine before. Some of you have beautiful layouts that would be a positive addition to any model railroad magazine.

John

More
15 years 5 months ago #419 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
Looks like the next sample of Great Model Railroads (Kalmbach), year 2010 to be released in 1 year, will host a Z scale layout.

Dom

More
15 years 5 months ago #423 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
Dom, Any hints as to whose layout will be featured? Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 5 months ago #433 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
Recent New's:

The Wasatch Z Club just sucsesfully finshed up its first train show for this 2008/2009 winter season. We are pleased to announce that three of our clubs Z modules swept the People's Choice Awards and came home with First, Second and Third Best in Show Modules.

Needless to say we are very pleased, and feel that Z is now being recognized by our fellow modlers here in Utah. We premiered as a club last fall at this NMRA show, and were at that time the first Z modules to be displayed here in our state. Now one year later, we left the same show, with the admaration of our fellow modelers of all scales, and are proud to bring Z to Utah.

1st Place "Echo Canyon Module"
2nd Place "Curvo Bridge Module"
3rd Place "Wyoming End Loop Module"

Tony B...
Wasatch Z Club

More
15 years 5 months ago #436 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
Tony, This is all good news. Congratulations. Cheers, Jim CCRR:cheer:

More
15 years 5 months ago #464 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Recognition for Z Scale.
Socalz44 wrote:

Dom, Any hints as to whose layout will be featured? Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

No Jim, sorry, no idea.:huh:

Dom

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds