Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

If I had a million....

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3097 by ausman2001
If I had a million.... was created by ausman2001
This was the title of one of the chapters in Linn Westcott's "101 Trackplans" book, which was published decades ago (my copy is stored down in the garage somewhere :unsure: ).

In general terms, what would your layout be like if you had a million dollars?

When the idea first crossed what passes for my mind I thought along the lines of a vast room with gold-plated trains and all sorts of other wild ideas. However, on mature reflection, I realised that there'd still be limits. As far as I'm concerned the main one would be the the size of layout that I could reasonably build, maintain and operate myself. Of course there'd be room to relax a bit (this is my hobby!) and a proper workbench rather than the dining table. Overall I think that the resultant layout probably wouldn't be much bigger than the planned Rheissenbahn - about 2.7 metres or 9' by 75 cm or 30".

Over to you....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3099 by zthek
Replied by zthek on topic Re:If I had a million....
I could stop working, custom build a huge motor home with a nice size workshop, drive around the country, work on my projects, build modules with others, spread the magic word ZEE. OK, back to reality. My alarm clock is set to scream at 4:45.

Lajos:)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3104 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:If I had a million....
My Frau told me..a million dollars..we would move into a Bahnhof!!

More
15 years 1 month ago #3107 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:If I had a million....
A real workshop instead of the shoebox I'm in now and a 5" garden layout. Maybe even buy a real narrow gauge steam engine to restore and drive. The Z layout planned is large enough at 4m x 0.6m.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3128 by Radialman
Replied by Radialman on topic Re:If I had a million....
I'd buy a caboose and have it installed in our backyard (I already have my eye on some donors). We know someone who did that. I would build a layout in the caboose. If I kept the hobby in the caboose, my wife would probably be very happy.

Jeremy

More
15 years 1 month ago #3135 by goobnav
Replied by goobnav on topic Re:If I had a million....
I'd hire Jim and Fred to help me design and build a Z Scale layout of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, circa 1960 in a room that would fit it. Including the area to show the Nicholson viaduct. Granted, that would be after my wife has shot me in the head with her new pearl handled pistols. So, I guess it would have to be $2 million dollars.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3138 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:If I had a million....
Thanks, but I really don't charge that much. I must be ok though, looks like the fellow from Iowa wants me to another layout for him! Cheers, Jim CCRR:woohoo:

More
15 years 1 month ago #3143 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:If I had a million....
Great news Jim! Let us know the theme as soon as you determine it.

Thanks,
Jerry
B)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3146 by goobnav
Jim,

Granted your services would be well paid but, that extra million dollars would have to be to prevent the pearl handled pistols and, their owner, she doesn't have them though, from being used on me because I didn't spend on her as well. Sorry, my humor got lost in the translation. I would pay you well Jim if that dream did come true. Believe it or not I have always had that in the back of my mind as a dream layout.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3148 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:If I had a million....
Goobnav, I only took your comment as humorous. Mine too. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3156 by goobnav
I know, I know but, its sounds even more funny when people get lost in the translation. Thank you again. I'll let you know though if I do happen to win the lottery.

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds