Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

Passing Grade

More
15 years 6 months ago #186 by Bobdocker
Passing Grade was created by Bobdocker
I want to build an incline on a module. I have read that the grade should be around 2%. How do you go about calculating this? How much elevation per foot is acceptable? Any help or tips would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #187 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Passing Grade
Bobdocker, Welcome to ZCS. Here's the deal. A 2% grade is plenty on a module. Especially one that will connect with others at the trainshows. A 2% grade will climb 1 inch in 4 feet. So if you need to rise up 3 inches then you need 12 feet. A 3% grade is possible, but your train will be much shorter than on a 2% grade. 4% will rise to 2 inches in 4 feet, but probably your loco and four cars is about it. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #192 by growermn
Replied by growermn on topic Re:Passing Grade
I believe I saw pictures of someone's layout that used home made risers using foam and cutting v- notches in the bottom of the foam to allow it to curve and he just figured out the grade. It seem like a little work but cheaper I would think jeff post 1? I did not have but maybe 10. was this because of the change? I't's no big deal just curious.

More
15 years 6 months ago #193 by ejshelton
Replied by ejshelton on topic Re:Passing Grade
Those risers you describe are commercially available. I can't remember the manufacturer off hand......but they are carried at the LHS here

Ellen

More
15 years 6 months ago #194 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Passing Grade
He didn't ask about brand names, but the foam is from Woodland Scenics. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 6 months ago #195 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Passing Grade
2%, that is indeed the common value (as it's the max NMRA recommended). However myself I've been very fast to use 3% on the small layout I'm workin' on. And that's true, Woodlands Scenics releases foam inclines of 1, 2 or 3%. Myself I'm using 3%, and these inclines are very easy and convenient to work with.

Sorry, no pictures here as I've still not understood how to insert them....

Dom

More
15 years 6 months ago #196 by Dampflok
Replied by Dampflok on topic Re:Passing Grade
Marklin's own risers give a grade of 4%. I had a BR74 (1'C h2t) pushing 9 axles up that with no problem at all even though two of the axles were quite stiff as they had pick-ups for lighting. I suspect that if you are running bogeyed diesels and electrics 4% would be OK for all except longest trains. Steam, on teh other hand, may be more of a problem.

Chris.

More
15 years 6 months ago #197 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:Passing Grade
I run 7%, but remove weight from the cars.

More
15 years 6 months ago #198 by Bobdocker
Replied by Bobdocker on topic Re:Passing Grade
I was planning on putting a passenger platform at the top of a hill. I would be running a f59 +4 cars and/or a MTL (e unit?) +4 or 5. I would have a 220 curve,on a incline at the top. Do you think I would be safe with a 3-4% grade? Also, Is there a zbend or zmod minimal acceptadle tunnel/bridge clearance height standard?

More
15 years 6 months ago #199 by Dampflok
Replied by Dampflok on topic Re:Passing Grade
Marklin's own risers give a grade of 4%. I had a BR74 (1'C h2t) pushing 9 axles up that with no problem at all even though two of the axles were quite stiff as they had pick-ups for lighting. I suspect that if you are running bogeyed diesels and electrics 4% would be OK for all except longest trains. Steam, on teh other hand, may be more of a problem.

Chris.

More
15 years 6 months ago #207 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Passing Grade
Hello Bob(?),

Bobdocker wrote:

I was planning on putting a passenger platform at the top of a hill. I would be running a f59 +4 cars and/or a MTL (e unit?) +4 or 5. I would have a 220 curve,on a incline at the top. Do you think I would be safe with a 3-4% grade? Also, Is there a zbend or zmod minimal acceptadle tunnel/bridge clearance height standard?

what I would do is to test the grade with a test track on a board that I can rise at one end. This way it would be easy to see how much grade the trains you want to run can tolerate. This way you also can test about the radii, because smaller radii will reduce the possible grade. Especially for bigger steam engines it is better that the change from level to grade isn't direct, but then change comes gradualy more. To a lesser extend this goes also for the change from rise to level again.

Another option to reduce grades may be that you divide the nessecary grade by letting part of the track rise, and at the same time let the lower track go down.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #356 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Passing Grade

Myself as I said earlier I'm using 3% grades associated with 14" radius curves. I run without any problem a 15-car train (5 FR Models covered hoppers - heavier because steel built, and 10 MTL boxcars) with 2 GP35s or 2 SD70s.

I've not tested yet my F59 and its 4 passenger cars, but as the F59 seems to be a very good puller, it should not lead to any problem, even on tighter curves.

Dom

More
15 years 5 months ago #357 by kvp
Replied by kvp on topic Re:Passing Grade
I've also tested a few grades and 4% seems to be ok for most marklin engines as long as the transition to and from level are done gradually. (1%,2%,3% and then 4% and back on the top) The only problem was the smallest radius curve (8510) with longer 4 axle cars (donnerbuch/thunderbox cars) because their wheels are slipping and they tend to be a harder job for he locos, than the ones with bogies (langenschwalbacher/old time western cars) especially on grades.

I would suggest 2% for the mainline with long trains (>10), %3 for shorter trains and/or lots of tight turns and 4% for really short trains (<5 cars). These are per engine values. And if you really want to pull a +20 boxcar train with a 0-6-0 steamer, then don't go above 1%. Another important thing is that marklin switches tend to make the locos work harder, so if you can don't put switches directly to the foot of or onto a grade.

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds