Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, May 05, 2024

What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1736 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
Jim,

Tell you what, I will send you a really nice photo of a Challenger. I won't even charge you the whole $500.00!

Actually, that was a fun exercise to see what we can get for $500.00. It might make a good article for a buyers guide coming into next years train season. Hmmm....

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1737 by zthek

Actually, that was a fun exercise to see what we can get for $500.00.

OK guyZ, I'll be serious about this $500.00 budget. Attention Rob (Ztrack), John (Ztrains), Jim (Z Central) and John (Trainboard). Work out the detailZ of a contest. Complete Z-scale starter layout (a non boring track plan) with board, track, a few simple building kits, a locomotive with a few cars, some scenery material, people and automobiles. All for under $500.00. Needs 7 qualified judges (if you don't mind I'll be one). First price: An unpainted r.t.r. SW-1. Second price: An unpainted r.t.r. logging boxcab locomotive. Third price: A uneversal and two 9V "Snail Speed" controller.

Lajos:cheer:

More
15 years 3 months ago #1739 by zthek
OOOOOPS, some kind of controller need to be included too.

Lajos:)

More
15 years 3 months ago #1740 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
Just a point: I didn't actually mean that a demo Z scale layout had to be restricted to a $500 budget. Maybe $750 or even more might be needed if we include the baseboard and other hardware etc. I was merely quoting the MR article (actually it might be a series of articles).

More
15 years 3 months ago #1743 by zthek

I didn't actually mean that a demo Z scale layout had to be restricted to a $500 budget.

Z-scalers are competitive. $500.00 is a challange, but Z-scale itself is a challange. Not necessary to pay full retail, there are discount dealers, however occasional sale prices should be excluded.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1744 by zthek
Here is one of Bill's world famous demo layouts. This one is neatly done, no toothpicks.

Lajos:cheer:

More
15 years 3 months ago #1745 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
This reminds me that these well done size comparisons can go along ways towards showing folks one of the advantages of Z scale.

Karin and I have put together a ARR caboose comparison display that we showed for the first time in Medford at Thanksgiving. We have a bit more refining to do on the display, but these displays showing different scales really speak well without words.
Loren:cheer:

More
15 years 3 months ago #1746 by Fred

More
15 years 3 months ago #1748 by Fred
The reason for the blank post above is I tried to upload a picture that was downsized and I'm still doing something wrong-- No problem- :S We 2%er's can live with it.:laugh:
Fred

More
15 years 3 months ago #1775 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
Lajos, if previously built layouts qualify (using current item prices), I could enter my guitar case layout. Non-boring, looks cool, nice buildings scenery etc.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1791 by zthek
Ondrej, what the contest was proposed about is not a contest between already built small layouts, but plans of low budget simple, but not boring layout plans for beginners (max $500.00, including base board, MTL sectional track, buildings, scenery material, people, cars, a locootive, some rolling stock and a controller). Obviously, if you submit the plans and budget of your already built layout, it's an entry. Just a short note, still no rules, nor judges yet.

Lajos:unsure:

More
15 years 3 months ago #1794 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
OK, I see....sounds great....I hope lots of people produce something interesting.

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #1830 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
Lajos, this sounds like it could be incorporated into the "Z Basics" thread; showing newbies that they can get a basic layout WITH a train for $500 or under. What do you think? Maybe John could post the winner's "shopping list" on his site under Z Basics. It will be fun watching the entries come in. Maybe you should start a new thread for your contest with all the guidelines included.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1832 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
If it all looks good in the end might it be possible to try to get it into Model Railroader?

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #1833 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re:What are we lacking in Z scale? Part II.
Another excellent idea!

More
15 years 3 months ago #1838 by zthek

...it could be incorporated into the "Z Basics" thread...

I'm afraid, there is a misunderstanding about John's post. Z Basics has not much to do with this forum, it's a series of articles about the key ingredients of Z-scale modeling by John Cubbin for beginners and information seekers on his www.ztrains.com/ web site. By the way, his site always worth a short visit. I know, I'm a frequent viZitor.

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #1839 by Alaska Railroader
I agree, John's site is wonderful! So, how do we put a link to his page from ZCS without having to say where to go find him? It would be nice to have a "links" section perhaps.

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds