Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 26, 2024

What is your favorite era?

More
15 years 3 months ago #1351 by Radialman
Replied by Radialman on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I would like to do steam someday, but for right now I plan to model my current locale about ca. 1985 when I moved here and timber was still king in Oregon and BN (Big greeN) ran through the county.

Right now, P&W/W&P (a BNSF subsidiary) runs the line north of Portland. Having the era from 1985 to now allows me to have BN, BNSF, P&W (I'd have to custom paint those). It also allows me to model more diverse industries.

But I like the Columbia River Gorge which is UP territory... Not much industry, but as Loren said, trees are timeless. (So are rocks, waterfalls, etc.)

Cheers,
Jeremy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1353 by jlundy46
Replied by jlundy46 on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
Hey Loren,
Are your trees old growth or replanted secondary growth? Remember when Weyerhauser had the "tree planting people" ads - you are the "tree planting person".

John

More
15 years 3 months ago #1354 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
Hey John,
I'd have to say it is a mix of both. There are some old growth mixed in, but I'd guess most are secondary. Just how old do trees have to be to be considered old growth?
Anything like humans?:laugh:

Loren

More
15 years 3 months ago #1355 by Radialman
Replied by Radialman on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
You've seen the signs, I'm sure -
"50's not old -
for a tree."

Cheers,
Jeremy

More
15 years 3 months ago #1356 by davidf
Replied by davidf on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
i like the late 1970s to mid 1980s. That is when the Rio Grande was at it's best, just before it got merged in the SP buyout.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1358 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
For me, I am starting to concentrate more and more of the 1990s - today. I have always been more of the type to purchase what appeals to me. But my interest are starting to focus on more of the modern rolling stock and locos.

Rob

More
15 years 3 months ago #1359 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
Growing up I didn't have the exposure to trains that many of you have had, thus my interest is all over the board. Like John I have collected mainly West coast and Canadian engines and rolling stock in N scale, so I decided to concentrate on East coast and Canadian for Z scale. All of my engines so far are MTL F7, GP9 and GP35. I also have some of their well cars and other modern cars which at some point will require the appropriate locomotives. Unfortunately when I see all of these great photos of trains you all are posting it sparks the desire to add more different roads. Also all of the scratch building projects on ZCS have inspired me to think outside of the (plastic) box.

Since my layout is only in the planning stages it only exists in my spacetime continuum.

I AM THE KING OF THE (my) WORLD!

More
15 years 1 month ago #3005 by PRR
Replied by PRR on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I have always enjoyed the early 1950s, so I can operate steam and early diesels, like the GP7s and 9s.

R.J.C.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3009 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I guess I like to start with the modern era and the trains can always pass areas that go way back in history, such as Mesa Verde, or a maritime museum, an abandoned ghost town,
an old colonial seaport, a defuncked logging camp, etc. This way, I tell myself, I can get ALL kinds of Z from a bobber caboose to an ICE. But stricktly North American ( ICE was once going to run the Northeast corridore).
Fred

More
15 years 1 month ago #3011 by Bobdocker
Replied by Bobdocker on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I like the modern era. Bring on the AZL AC4400!!!

More
15 years 1 month ago #3014 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I sure would like to see a Shay-- next to my E-7's. An excursion train or RR museum.
Fred

More
15 years 1 month ago #3027 by goobnav
Replied by goobnav on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I'd have to say from the 60's up through today. You can run almost everything that is out there, the Peoria & Western is still running FP9's today. If you look at the Reading & Northern's roster they have a 4-6-2 fully restored and doing summer excursions. You can still see rolling stock that has reporting letters for PRR, NYC, EL, LV, & CNJ they are still under the control of Norfolk Southern. I would hope they would do the same as UP and have some heritage paint jobs on their engines.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3029 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I appreciate all eras, each has a uniqueness. I like how they pulled countries together, both inside and outside. My layout will contain a bit of anything I can get my hands on. Each item has a story of it's own to tell.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3051 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
50's and 60's for me, before everything got consolidated out into our last six big railroads while we still had more than two locomotive manufacturers Would be nice to have some affordable Alcos in Z wouldn't it?

Todd

More
15 years 1 month ago #3071 by goobnav
Replied by goobnav on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I would love to see some Alco C630's in Lehigh Valley "snowbird" or Tuscan Red with big yellow lettering.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3073 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
I like the pre/post Civil War, Old West, early 1900's Logging, and 1990 to 2005 modern. At this time, I am recovering from a bad cold, could be a bit delirious, but I think that is all the era's I like!!!!

Hobo Tim :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3094 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
Tim,

Get better soon so you can get back to modeling!

Jerry
B)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3096 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:What is your favorite era?
Tim, now I know that your are sick. You'r into modern railroading. You know, modern stuff like Mi-Jacks and double stacks.:laugh:

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds