Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Door slab layout

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #12127 by TheWag
Door slab layout was created by TheWag
My door slab layout made it's public debut today at local train show. Thought I'd share it here too. I've been working on this layout for about a year. Slowly getting further. I'm working on the yard side now and learning a lot (like be careful with hyrdocal!) Below is a picture from today's show. More pictures and info at my website .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #12128 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re: Door slab layout
The layout is looking great! You are off to a good start.

You mentioned you are using hydrocal. Are you using the hydrocal for the scenery? If so, you may went to look at a product called Celluclay. I love the stuff. It is a mix of plaster/clay like binder and paper. It goes on like plaster, but is extremely light weight when it dries. It can be carved and cut once it dries. It is not brittle like plaster. If the layout is portable, the Celluclay will definitely give you a huge weight savings.

Here is an image of wet celluclay over a foam base:

I purchase it a craft stores.

Rob

More
12 years 4 months ago #12129 by TheWag
Replied by TheWag on topic Re: Door slab layout
Thanks Rob, I'll have to look into that....

More
12 years 4 months ago #12130 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: Door slab layout
Good one Rob. I wonder if it is at Micheal's? I will check this out as well. Is this like the stuff Loren uses? I can remember the name right now. Jim :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #12135 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re: Door slab layout
Yes I get mine at Michaels. It comes in a square, rectangular bag. You can actually see the fine bits of newspaper in it. I put a little water in a containers, then add the Celluclay. I keep adding, and mixing until I get a thick, yet creamy mixture. If you still have water in the bowl, add a bit more of the Celluclay. It does shrink a little when it dries, but not too bad. I typically do a little touch after it dries to fill in a spots that shrink.

Rob

More
12 years 4 months ago #12145 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: Door slab layout
Thanks Rob, I will get some. Jim :)

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds