Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Monday, May 06, 2024

planning phase: what tools?

More
15 years 4 months ago #1060 by Havoc
planning phase: what tools? was created by Havoc
I'm looking for ideas how to take my plan to the next stage.

I have a trackplan sketched more or less and now I want to go to a stage where I can have a better idea about what is needed: how many meters of track, how many and what type of switches, how much place will there be for buildings, how to fit it on the modules, where to shrink it etc.

I can't get along with XtrkCAD, it is fine if you use the trackpieces but freehand with flextrack is too involved. You cannot just change a radius and have the rest adjust itself. I have been thinking about getting a roll of brown wrapping paper and draw it out in 1:1. But than I could just as well start directly. I could do it in a real cad but then the switch geometry has to be known (and that is one of the things to find out).

How do you guys do more detailed planning?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1061 by Dampflok
Replied by Dampflok on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
Hi Havoc.

Having been driven to distraction by the well known Model Railway design programs, I was told to have a look at a program called AnyRail. It was created by a small software group and, as such, is able to react more quickly to suggestions (some of which came from me) from its users than the big guns. Above all, it is very simple to use, offers a massive, and still growing, range of different manufacturers' tracks. (In Z they cover Marklin, Microtrains and Peco, but they also have 10 N, 27 HO, 6 O and 5 G/1 scale track systems.)

You can download a free trail version of the program at anyrail.com. Well worth a look.

If you have any questions, you can ask me on the forum or go to their own forum (www.anyrail.com/forum_en/) where you will find plenty to read.

Hope that helps.

Good luck,
Chris.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1063 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
Chris, Since you asked the question I will put in my two cents worth. I simply sit or stand in my layout area and put the whole layout together in my mind. I do not use computer programs, but I will check out layout examples in books. From these books I just let my brain figure out what I want. It works for me. Real railroads by there very nature were for the most part laid out in some surveyors mind, and then put to paper. Most of us probably do it this way whether we know it or not. Once I have the layout in my mind I actually lay it out flat on the space, or floor using all the track. It is flat with track laying on top of one another where they would cross in the layout. Then I trace the track outline. Then I start building using the Woodland Scenics foam riser system. When I trace all the track I mean just the mainline and spurs. Yards can be drawn in. My way acomplishes a couple of things. By laying the track down first you can visualize the finished layout in the actual space you want it to occupy. Also, you will know how much track to purchase. ie. whether you need more and of what type. All this said, using computer programs to design layouts is ok. They seem to demand a steep learning curve. I like the 3D ones. I just don't want to use my precious time that way. So, anyway you get the 'next phase' going is ok. Just make up your mind and take the step. There is no right or wrong way. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 4 months ago #1065 by kvp
Replied by kvp on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
I just use wintrack for layout design. The demo version is limited, because you don't have all the 3d models for every building, but it supports the whole track set and two ways to lay flextrack (freehand and parameter input). It's very easy to use, you just put down the first piece then click on pieces to add to the selected end. Erasing can be done with the delete key.

When the 2d planning is done, you can set 3d heights and tunnel/bridge areas. You can also place standard and home made buildings and height markers on the layout. Then you can just render it in 3d to see it.

The big advantage of a cad program like this is that you can check if the geometry will fit or not. This is especially important if you use set pieces. Another good point is that you can ask it to check for too steep grades, too low overpasses and too sharp curves.

When the plan is ready, you can ask the program to show you how many pieces you need from each item. Also, you can print out (in the full version) the whole design on paper in 1:1 and you can use it as a template, even before you buy a single item. Plus it's usually faster to enter an idea into the computer for visualization than to assemble it on a table with real track.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1066 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
I checked the applications mentioned, but they all require windows. I'm not going to install that just for this. (use linux on all pc's) I'll give it a try on Wine when I get that up and running. The remark about learning curve is right. And as most of us don't make layouts for a living this makes these programs a bit less desirable.

Figuring it out and then laying it out is fine. Except I cannot make a permanent layout. It will have to be modules that can be set up in the living room when possible. So I can not set it up for a few months while I "think about it". It would be best if I have the plan all ready, build the module frames, set everything up, draw the layout and then build module by module.And hope it fits together...

I plan to go with self laid track. The available switches are just too sharp. (and the few that are better are too expensive) Also part of the station will be in a very slight curve. Bought pieces of track will just look out of place. I'll use the track I have in the fiddle yards. However this means that there will be not much possibility to push and shove track.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1099 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
While there's no doubt that planning software has its downside the advantage, as I see it, is the ability to easily sketch out alternative ideas and scenarios. I use Empire Express and Railmodeller on my MacBook, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Let us know how you get on.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #1207 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
Hello Johan,
Havoc wrote:

I checked the applications mentioned, but they all require windows. I'm not going to install that just for this. (use linux on all pc's)

XTrkCAD is the only software that I knew for Linux. Personally I use Raily 4 which is also Windows based. Flex track might take some time to get used to with a software, but then I think it is worth the time. And beside, if you just draw the parts that use fixed sectional track, and when you print it out in 1:1 you can draw in flex by hand anytime... With this you will get a detaild list of items and for flex track you just take a tape messure and messure how long your flex sections are.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 4 months ago #1208 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
I have been messing a bit with xtrkcad but there isn't a package for Gentoo and I can't get the source to compile either. But then I haven't taken a hard look yet. The emergency move of a pipe organ and the end of year festivities have taken priority. As an interim solution I'm going to look if I can get something running on Wine. Might be a faster.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1209 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:planning phase: what tools?
Hello Johan,
Havoc wrote:

I have been messing a bit with xtrkcad but there isn't a package for Gentoo and I can't get the source to compile either. But then I haven't taken a hard look yet. The emergency move of a pipe organ and the end of year festivities have taken priority. As an interim solution I'm going to look if I can get something running on Wine. Might be a faster.

I just edited my first posting in this thread because I didn't saw that you knew about XTRKCAD. I don't know enough about the different distributions for Linux. Might be that I use the now free PC of my wife (she got another one) for some testing of Linux.

As I wrote I use Raily 4 , and I love it. But then this is always a personal choice, because everyne has different ideas about what details in a software he want's.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds