Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 18, 2024

Height Difference Between Marklin and MTL

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #4057 by Fred
I'll just butt out--- F.W.E.
Fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #4058 by craZ13
Guess the big question is:

Beverly did this answer your question?

Jerry
:P B)

More
15 years 1 month ago #4060 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Height Difference Between Marklin and MTL
Sorry that I've been away from my computer since last night and all of you have given such detailed information.

I also want to apologize for my typo stating the boxcar was a 50' instead of a 40". I really did know it was a 40'.

I saw the photos of the protypes as well as Jim's model photo with his explanation of car sizes being related to different decades. Wow! You guys really know your trains B) I couldn't have posed my question to a more knowledgeable group of people.

I guess my problem is that I have a wood CNR caboose in mind....

This photo is from this great site of (mostly) Canadian cabooses :

In this photo you can see the last bit of a car for size comparison to the right:

Obviously the NYC caboose and the CNR caboose are different in so many ways. I will have to decide if I want to turn the metal NYC caboose into a wood CNR caboose, or find a different CN or CP caboose that is similar to the NYC caboose. Or, I could pretend I lived in eastern Canada and pretend that a NCY caboose ended up in my backyard :silly:

Thank you all for your thoughtful answers :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #4065 by ztrack
Jim,

I was rereading this thread and I realized something... the right hand car in your photo is the exact same double door boxcar Bev posted! LOL!! Sorry, not picking on you, but I just got a chuckle when I realized that.

Also, here is an interesting fact. Diesel did not replace steam due to increased horse power. Actually, many of the steam locos of the 1930s are much more powerful than the modern diesels. Here is a good comparison. A Southern Pacific circa 1930s AC12 has roughly 6,000 horse power. The very modern SD70 series of diesel that is 70 years newer then the AC12 has only 4,000 horse power.

Steam locos were extremely labor intensive and expensive to operate. Diesel are inexpensive and cheap to operate. Even running two or three diesels together is still more economical than operating a single steam loco.

Economics is also the reason why we keep seeing cars getting larger. They are cheaper to operate and maintain. You can move more with less.

Rob

More
15 years 1 month ago #4067 by bambuko
Replied by bambuko on topic Re:Height Difference Between Marklin and MTL
Fred wrote:

... F.W.E.
Fred

I know that curiosity killed the cat, but can't help it :)

what is F.W.E ?
the only acronyms I have managed to google are:
FWE Forum for Women Entrepreneurs
FWE Food Warming Equipment Company, Inc.
FWE Farm Working Expenses
FWE Foreign Weapons Evaluation
FWE Finished with Engines (ship telegraph)
FWE Furnished with Equipment
FWE Force Warning Experiment

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #4068 by Fred
Chris--
F.W.E is indeed Finished With Engines. Today on computer operated ships,( with drastically reduced crews) I'm sure an electrical printout is made for ALL orders made to the engineroom. On older ships, an officer would write in shorthand and symbols, every command and time given to the engineeers, via engine telegraph, in the BELL BOOK or telegraph log. A similar log would be kept in the engineroom. These logs would be kept during operations in restricted waters, arrival and departure from ports, any time a pilot is aboard, such as transit through the Suez or Panama canals, or the English Channel etc. It is an accurate record of orders given and actions taken during restricted transit. Sort of like an aircraft's black box. These logs as well as the Ship's Official Log and other ship's documnts, can be used in a court of law to recreate the ship's actions. S.B.E. stands for Stand By Engines and alerts engineers that further commands may be anticipated, and to be ready to adjust speed and direction. A Engine Telegraph has all the speeds marked on the dial, and must be answered by the engineroom with a matching arrow. If there is not a correct match a warning bell alerts both ER and bridge, and corrective action is taken. On many ships that ply the seas, they are "steeped in tradition and unhampered by progress".
Hope this answers your question. I got a kick out of your findings. I have spent probably as much time at sea as I have ashore and it's hard to teach an old seadog new tricks.
Thanks for trying.
Fred

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #4091 by bambuko
Replied by bambuko on topic Re:Height Difference Between Marklin and MTL
thanks Fred,
I did my apprenticeship in a shipyard :) but any sailing I have done never involved engines :P so I was only guessing what you had in mind ...

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #4094 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Height Difference Between Marklin and MTL
Freddy, I am taking a cruise this year for vacation. The ship is over 110,000 ton. My strategy to keep my weight under control is to lose 5 lb before the cruise, so I will only gain 5 lb at the end of the cruise.:laugh:

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #4095 by Fred
:woohoo: your strategery MIGHT work if you take many walks around the deck and away from the food tables. :laugh:
I hope you really enjoy your time at sea. :X really :silly:
Freddie

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds