Saturday, May 18, 2024

MTL Gunderson Husky to 48' Husky AP

More
15 years 1 month ago #3307 by HoboTim
MTL Gunderson Husky to 48' Husky AP was created by HoboTim
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Greetings!!

I have posted these photos several months ago. This is a MTL 48' Gunderson Husky modified into a 48' Husky All Purpose well car. This well car can transport either up to 48' container or a 48' trailer in its well.

To create this modified well car you will need to disassemble the car completely. Strip all of the paint off. File some metal away in several places. Putty in the hole where the brakewheel/airtank goes, and sand smooth. Break most of the bottom cross braces out then file the edges smooth. Glue the new etched bottom plate in. bend/solder/paint silver, the end walkways with brakewheel. Bend trailer fifth wheel plates and paint orange. Airbrush brush the well car frame TTX yellow and attach decals. Clear coat and dry. Then add 4 end ladders, walkways and fifth wheels and then the trucks. You are now finished with your new 48' Husky AP!

When I receive some professionally etched brass in a few weeks, it will have about 30 frets of brass to make these Husky AP well cars. I am posting this here, on the ZCS website and also the Yahoo Group; Z_Intermodal. Only post your desires on one of the forums.

I don't know if the 30 sets will be enough. At this time, 3-24-09, I have yet to approve the artwork for etching. I can still add more of these Husky AP sets if the desire is high enough. Please let me know if you are interested and what quantity you would like to have. I would say the brass and the decals will be around $7 each. Will know more when the etcher quotes me the price per sheet and tooling cost.

If you are interested, please post your request here. I am taking no funds now. I will Completely modify another MTL Husky into a Husky AP while taking many photos of the process. I'll use this message thread to post all of the How-To photos.

Thank you!!!

Hobo Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3308 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:MTL Gunderson Husky to 48' Husky AP
Tim, looking forward to you posting more pictures and getting back to Z.
Fred

More
15 years 1 month ago #3331 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:MTL Gunderson Husky to 48' Husky AP
Modifying an MTL Husky into one of these Husky AP's is easy. Hardest part is time consuming filing away unwanted metal. All other steps are simple and easy. I think it took me about 10 minutes to do all the modifications including the filing. Had to allow the putty to dry for a few hours before I was able to airbrush. What I need to do is place the Husky AP next to a MTL Husky in TTX so you can see the difference it makes. Near complete different decal placements. Very noticeable.

Hobo Tim :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3414 by Catt
Replied by Catt on topic Re:MTL Gunderson Husky to 48' Husky AP
Tim,
Am I right in asuming that $7.00 is for one car kit? Either way you can put me down for one kit at this time

More
15 years 1 month ago #3429 by Catt
Replied by Catt on topic Re:MTL Gunderson Husky to 48' Husky AP
Hi Tim,
I read on Trainboard (no I am not a member) that you've had to increase the price to $7.50.Fair enough, please put me down for two sets.Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds