Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 18, 2024

MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars

More
15 years 4 months ago #1572 by Socalz44
MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars was created by Socalz44
Jeff, Thanks for the comparison. I don't have the pair, not my modeling era, but some differences are obvious. This is my first look at what I assume is a new Z coupler. Just looking at the cars it seems the Marsilius version has a bit more detail. What I like the best between the two cars is the Marsilius seems a bit smaller than the MTL. So, I'm hoping that the MTL car is not more than 85 feet. When I comes to passenger cars I tend to think smaller is better. Both of these 85 footers will look great on modules, but I'm uncomfortable with their length on small layouts. Most of us don't have R490 13Degree curves at home so the overhang on sharper curves would bother me. Just some thoughts. Cheers, Jim CCRR:S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #1577 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
Socalz44 wrote:

Jeff, Thanks for the comparison. I don't have the pair, not my modeling era, but some differences are obvious. This is my first look at what I assume is a new Z coupler. Just looking at the cars it seems the Marsilius version has a bit more detail. What I like the best between the two cars is the Marsilius seems a bit smaller than the MTL. So, I'm hoping that the MTL car is not more than 85 feet. When I comes to passenger cars I tend to think smaller is better. Both of these 85 footers will look great on modules, but I'm uncomfortable with their length on small layouts. Most of us don't have R490 13Degree curves at home so the overhang on sharper curves would bother me. Just some thoughts. Cheers, Jim CCRR:S

Jim,
The differences are obvious on close inspection....I have both.
MTL is truly a smooth side and the trucks are more detailed than Marsilius.

They both use the MTL coupler, only the Marsilius coupler is body mounted while MTL uses truck mounted. The MTL car is 1/8" longer than Marsilius. MTL's under carriage is more detailed. End detail and roof detail on MTL is more defined.

MTL wins hands down for detail.......and price too.
Loren

More
15 years 4 months ago #1578 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
Loren, Then which car is which in the photos? One has a grey coupler and one has traditional black. How did Marsilius get enough MTL couplers? See other posting. Inquiring minds. Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

More
15 years 4 months ago #1587 by tealplanes
Jim,
MTL has the gray coupler.

The Marsilius cars sure appear to have MTL couplers........and if they are.....how did they get them? Anything is possible if you know the right people...;)

Loren

More
15 years 3 months ago #1680 by Scott
Replied by Scott on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
Which is the best car for converting to a Marklin coupler? I have the Marklin ABA set and would like to convert one end of the MT or Marsilius car to be pulled by Marklin engines. If the MT is truck mounted....is that easier? Also - how do I do it? Thanks for any help.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1684 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
Hi
I have the same ABA unit, and I was going to order the couplers that are mounted on trucks from MTL to convert the ABA unit, and not the cars. Seems it would be a lot easier. I was going to dedicate the ABA unit for just pulling those cars, so I would put the pilot on the front. So instead of converting the cars, I would just convert the engine.

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #1687 by jdo
Replied by jdo on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
In changing the coupler on the Marklin ABA unit I used the 901 coupler(easy change just be carful of sliding the clip on the marklin side frame), do not use the coupler on the truck(004 02 51) that is for the MTL F-7 only(I did the same mistake). When you insert the coupler make sure you use the MTL spring not the Marklin spring, it makes a big difference.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1689 by Scott
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1690 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
So the 004 02 051 is for the MTL F7 only?
Is it the same as the number 949?
I didn't see 949 listed on their websight.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1691 by tealplanes
Kelley wrote:

So the 004 02 051 is for the MTL F7 only?
Is it the same as the number 949?
I didn't see 949 listed on their websight.

That is correct Kelly, 949 is the old number for the 004 02 051.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1695 by Scott
What tools are needed for converting the Marklin F7 to MT couplers (941)?

More
15 years 3 months ago #1696 by jdo
Replied by jdo on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
A flat head screw driver, and maybe a tweezers(just for ease). What I do is remove body carefully by prying at the center of the sides with fingers, then push out pin holding truck mechanism(this where i use the tweezers). This allows you access to gently bend back theclip to slide off truckside frames. When removing side frame I have the truck up side down, so everything does not fall out. Replace coupler and spring and re-assemble. Remember to put coupler in correct way.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1803 by Bobdocker
Replied by Bobdocker on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
Just an observation. The MTL passenger cars have a different color yellow than the MTL F7 a&b's.

More
15 years 3 months ago #1804 by zthek
Replied by zthek on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars

The MTL passenger cars have a different color yellow than the MTL F7 a&b's

It depends on the age of F7s. There are -beside minor differences- two very noticable shade of yellow appears on the MTL F7s. The later models were lighter and brighter yellow. But don't worry, UP had more shades than imaginable.

Lajos:)

More
15 years 3 months ago #1805 by zthek
Replied by zthek on topic Re:MTL vs Marsilius Passenger Cars
One more note, I forgot to point out. The F7s were freight locomotives, UP didn't use them for passenger service. At this time the only available UP passenger locomotives are the AZL E7, E8 / E9 and PA-1. The MTL version of E8 / E9 will be the more affordable solution. Another way is, to modify the F7s to look like F3s. UP originally used F3 locomotives for passenger service before they changed the gear ratios for freight service.

Lajos:unsure:

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds