Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Great time to be in Z

More
14 years 11 months ago #4956 by Espeeman
Great time to be in Z was created by Espeeman
I know this has been said before but goodness, with all the great stuff coming to market every month I'm gonna be broke real soon! What a great dilemma. Just when I'm all excited about the black SP Overnight cars MTN releases the silver Overnights! Then there's the UP 4-pak, the F7's, GP-35's, GP-9's, SD40-2's, E-8's(??), passenger trains, all the great structures available. It's almost endless! Now, if only someone would do a bay window caboose!

What are you excited about??

Thrilled to be in Z!

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4957 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
My interest is in European outline and at the moment there's a bit of a hiatus in the production and release of affordable Z scale items with the troubles at Marklin. However they are about to relaunch the mighty Borsig (my order is in!) and the all-new Ludmilla will be released next year, not to mention the unique V 300. In the meantime there are still kits and other accessories coming out from other makers - altogether enough to impoverish me too B)

Oh, and the long promised Senator is supposed to be available in the next couple of months :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4959 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
Well I'm not of that opinion. Like Ausman I'm into european Z and it is looking very bleak. I have ordered some cars 2 months ago and no Z is coming out of the Marklin factory. There are a few small players, but while their range is a nice complement to the Marklin range, it cannot replace it. Just no alternative for the bulk of cars and engines.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4960 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
Havoc wrote:

Like Ausman I'm into european Z and it is looking very bleak. I have ordered some cars 2 months ago and no Z is coming out of the Marklin factory.

Strange, as while reading my Ztrack's latest issue I was amazed (and happy for you euro prototype modellers) to discover new carbodies, such as what looks like an heavy ex-east german diesel... So who can guess what currently is Marklin's status... Hope they will recover anyway.

Dom

More
14 years 11 months ago #4961 by Havoc
Well, those new things were announced long ago IIRC. Just after the bad news I placed my order. The shop confirmed the factory is delivering h0 stuff but they have not received any Z since.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4962 by Espeeman
Replied by Espeeman on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
Hmmm, perhaps I should have titled this "Great time to be in American Z".

Sorry to hear of the problems at Marklin. If it weren't for them there wouldn't be any Z.

John

More
14 years 11 months ago #4963 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
It can take upwards of a year or more for announced Marklin new items to arrive at dealers. So don't be surprised if they new items you ordered are not in yet. This is very typical and has been the method of Marklin since I can remember. With the recent issues with Marklin, there has definitely been an increase in time between announcement and release. The Senator is good example. I also am waiting on a few 2008 new items, but one just came in two weeks ago.

I was very happy to see new tooling from Marklin this year, especially the Ludmilla. This is a locomotive I have been waiting for. But, I do feel for all of European prototype fans. The number of new items are down. Just a few years ago, Marklin announced 41 new items for Z scale. We are now in the teens. Keep an eye out on FR later this year. They do have plans to increase their selection of rolling stock.

As for North American Z fan, John you hit upon on the great new items that MTL is offering. But AZL is preparing to release a even greater variety of new rolling stock and locomotives. Before the end of the year, in injection, we will see GP30s, RDCs, ACF 4 bay hoppers, auto racks, 23,000 gallon funnel flow tank cars, wood side reefers, thrall well cars, and PS2cd covered hoppers. Plus, we have AC4400s planned for 2010. As for brass, well it is all about the Challenger. Also, keep an eye on Full Throttle. Uncle Will continues to release a variety of great cars in interesting roads.

So yes it is a great time to be in American Z. But the European fans could definitely use a boost.

Rob

More
14 years 11 months ago #4965 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
ztrack wrote:

This is very typical and has been the method of Marklin since I can remember.

Also, keep an eye on Full Throttle. Uncle Will continues to release a variety of great cars in interesting roads.

Rob

Yes... this has been a Marklin ploy for as long as I can remember, too. Nice catalogs with great photos of things to come. I remember the first time I placed an advance order and made full payment... only to wait almost an entire year to receive the item. That was the LAST time I order anything in advance from Marklin. I have better uses for my money in that amount of time. That was a disappointing learning experiance. For the Marklin fans, I hope the Z-scale pulls through... but, personally, I no longer buy any Marklin (for many different reasons and I don't want to start this arguement, again).

My collection has gone from 100% Marklin to about 10% Marklin, with the 90% mixed of AZL, FR, MTL, Full Throttle, 3Rworks, and a few others.

Yes... I buy every release of Uncle Will's Full Throttle. The past two months have seen a sudden increase in releases... from one set per month to three sets each of the last two months. I'm surprised at how he does it. I'm looking forward to his future release of D&RGW 2-bay rib-side hoppers.

Alex

Tokyo, Japan

More
14 years 11 months ago #4966 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
Alex, You are heading in the right direction. Even as a North American modeler I feel terrible about the Marklin situation. But, as the title of this thread says, it's a 'great time to be in Z'. Maybe all our Marklin stuff will become collectors items to be sold at great profit someday? Until then NA modeling seems to be the answer. Searails, will be coming out with one or more steam bodies to put on those Marklin chassis we have laying around the house. It can't get much better than that I'm thinking. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4967 by Havoc

It can take upwards of a year or more for announced Marklin new items to arrive at dealers. So don't be surprised if they new items you ordered are not in yet.

I didn't order announced items. This was a number of 8630 goods cars. Must be in catalogue for +10 years.

Maybe all our Marklin stuff will become collectors items to be sold at great profit someday?

I don't know if that's a good thing if you are into Z for modelling instead of investment. It means there will be no new (Marklin) stuff so second hand prices will go up. Those wanting trains to run them will have to pay premium collector prices.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4968 by ztrack
Alex, I am a bit shocked that any dealer would make you prepay for a Marklin new release item. That is ludicrous. All of the dealer I work take order and charge you when the item arrives. I secure my order with a credit card.

Even though Walther's is the official Marklin distributor here in the US, that does not mean those Walthers dealer who can order Marklin Z understand Marklin Z. I highly recommend working with any of the Marklin dealers who advertise in Ztrack. I personally have purchased from most of them and can tell you they have been great to deal with. Also, a few have connections and ties with German dealers and are not limited to the Walthers dealings.

As for finding older Marklin items, this can be fun and a challenge. Just because it has been in the catalog for 10 years does not necessarily mean dealers may have it. Due to the reduced number of Marklin new items these past few years, I have been going back and hunting down older releases that I have missed. It has been a fun and challenging hunt. One dealer I highly recommend to contact if you are looking for older items is Casa Royale in California. He has a HUGE inventory of Marklin Z and is currently selling off at some very good pricing.

Also, EuroModel Trains in NJ is having a Marklin Z sale of North American trains. This is a good chance to get a GG1 on the cheap. See their ads in Ztrack!

Rob

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4971 by Havoc
I don't expect every dealer to have 10+ pieces of everything in catalogue in stock. That is not possible as it ties up to much funds. But if it is in catalogue I expect it to be delivered within a week or two.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4972 by ztrack
John, I am serious, try Casa. You may be surprised. I recently saw a list of his stock at he has multiples of many items.

Most of us have played the Marklin game for years. Just because it is in the catalog doesn't necessarily mean it is readily available. For instance, if a dealer does not have it in stock, he will place an order with Walther's. The dealer may wait until he has a larger order before he call them for the order. Walthers may not have it in stock and have to order from Germany. Again, they are going to wait until they have a bigger order. By time it reaches Germany, they may or may not have it available and could be waiting another run. We all have been there on this one. By time Germany ships, you are looking at months to receive items by time they go through the channels to you. I have waited over a year for some items. It just happens. Call around to a few dealers to see if they have the items in stock. This will save you time and frustration.

Rob

More
14 years 11 months ago #4974 by Havoc
Might be not clear, but I'm in Belgium, a few hundred kilometer from the factory. When the shop doesn't have it, it goes directly to the factory ordering system. It isn't the first time I have ordered at that shop and normally it is there in 2 weeks. But the factory isn't delivering anything in Z (called a few times since). Be it in the catalogue or announced, Z isn't coming out of it.

I wouldn't be worried if the shop just told me it would take a couple of weeks or a month. That has happened before. Like you say if it is out of stock and they are waiting a new run. But according to the Marklin website it is in stock from factory but the factory doesn't deliver. Just go to the site and look up the engines, most is marked "not in production"...

What worries me most is that there is no news at all about what is happening there. Neiter good nor bad news.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4976 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
On the German forum they were talking about problems Maerklin had with employees walking off with stuff and putting it on e bay..spare parts..and of all things..PROTOTYPES! Crazy stupid..they got caught. It's a mess.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4996 by Havoc
That sounds bad indeed.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4999 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
I just heard the BR 53 is out..so they are delivering somthing..at least in Germany

More
14 years 11 months ago #5002 by Havoc
No-one got some inside information? The great-steph-uncle-of-the-cousin-of-the-brother-of-my-sisters-brother-in-law working there?

More
14 years 10 months ago #5005 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
Kelley wrote:

I just heard the BR 53 is out..so they are delivering somthing..at least in Germany

I've even seen one of those on eBay (today).

More
14 years 10 months ago #5007 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Great time to be in Z
ausman2001 wrote:

Kelley wrote:

I've even seen one of those on eBay (today).

I saw both versions of the BR 53 on EBay today.

One is the Insider model from 2007. Item 88053 is in the DRG livery.

The second is the item 88054 , which is the same engine in DB livery. This item is according to the Maerklin website also available in the online shop from Maerklin. The delivery is set for within 48 hours...

According to the delivery list the BR 53 is the first new item to be in shops. About the value of this list I'm in doubt. As my local dealer said, this list is called the "list of lies"...

Also a negative point is that the Insider model from 2008 the Senator train 88100 still isn't available. The only train that could be found on EBay was a prototype without a motor, and as far as I recall was a stolen item...

The delivery date for the 2009 insider model, the V300 88300 is moved to 2010...

Another mess is the logistic at Maerklin. As an example I've read that dealer don't get a certain car even if they order it, but that the same car is available in the Maerklin store in Göppingen in numbers. I can't understand that. If someone want my items, and I have them in stock in my shop, then I should deliver them...

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds