Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 18, 2024

Terry's Layout

More
14 years 11 months ago #4647 by TerryH
Terry's Layout was created by TerryH
Well it is about time I got some track down, after all, one can't play without track. :) As I progress in building this layout, I will post my photos here. It is only a humble beginning and subject to many changes, but it is a start.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4649 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Terry, Looking good. How about a full photo of the layout? I now it isn't finish, but some would like to see the track plan and stuff. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4651 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Jim, here is a quick shot of the current layout. This is going to be expanded quite a bit but at least allows me to try different approaches. I have three sections to fill on this layout which is U-shaped.

Attachments:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4654 by Socalz44
Terry, Good job. This will help some folks I'm sure. I like this track plan as well. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4683 by TerryH
Modified layout back to my original tri-circuit oval. Now to work out the switching yard and the inner town areas.

Attachments:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4685 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Terry- You have a lot of space to play with.
This certainly is geometrically correct but to me lacks some interest. you can add another separate circuit that goes over and under ( for shorter trains), and shutes off in diagonals, or the complete circuit can be one level above your main lines. Just me thinking out loud and sticking both feet in it. As this is your yard section, you may want to forget about this comment..completely! It might be too soon to see the whole picture.
sputtering and muttering
Fred
I'll post anyways

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4688 by TerryH
Hi Fred, I couldn't agree with you more. I hate flat layouts. I just finished the switching yard, until I get more switches. Now I have to address the center section which will feed to town area structures. I have two other sections of the U-shaped layout to plan yet. All three sections will be tied together with the so called over and under connections. This section is three circuits using shunting but allows all trains to cross over to any other track. I will also have sidings which will be on SPST switches which will hold trains in waiting, (Dead leads). Parts of this track will probably be somewhat elevator or at least buried in a tunnel or a cavern. Stay tuned, this is only the initial designing stage. Thanks for your feedback, I surely need all the help I can get. Here's a new pic with the switching yard on it.

Attachments:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4699 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Good one Terry! Keep up the good work!

More
14 years 11 months ago #4703 by spyder62
Replied by spyder62 on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Looks good Terry. Only thing I could see being changed is the yard location. Were it is now in the back , Might make it hard to fix a derailed car, I'd say most your derails would be from going through all the switches so if it is closer to the front might help.
Just thinking and for me that's dangerous.
rich

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4704 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Terry's Layout
I thought that too, but I was going to be mum ;) :blink: - Terry, I know you have a long reach- but those are little tiny wheels you are trying to get on track.
Another thought-- I'll throw it out here. I know you will be looking for lichen when the snow departs in JULY.. I had some good and bad experiences with liechen. Some stays soft and plyable for ever. Good stuff.. and then I had some that got brittle and just broke apart leaving a terrible mess. Does anyone know the process to keep liechen plyable?? A little help here might help many. Thanks in advance
Fred

More
14 years 11 months ago #4710 by Socalz44
While lichen never appealed to me for so reason, I think Terry would be better of with Woodland Scenics lichen if he must use it. It come in many colors and is unform and predictable. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4711 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Fred wrote:
Does anyone know the process to keep liechen plyable?? A little help here might help many. Thanks in advance
Fred[/quote]

Fred,
I believe you soak it in a solution of glycerin and water for a period of time.....maybe pure glycerin............don't remember as it was over 30 years ago that I did that process. I don't even recall the end result, but I believe it did work. Sorry I can't recall more of the details. The glycerin is what makes it soft. Seems that the drying process took a long time after it was removed from the solution.

"Better not try this at home" as the saying goes. I'll bet someone on Trainboard would remember the procedure.

I'd stick with buying the commercial brand like Jim suggests.
Loren

More
14 years 11 months ago #4712 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Terry,

Thank you for posting photos showing how you are experimenting with track layout. We haven't gotten to that stage yet and your photos are helping me understand the some of the possibilities :) I liked the first track layout the most because it had the most interesting "oval" shape, though having the track in the centre of the layout wasted space where buildings could be. Just a few thoughts on what caught my eye :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4713 by TerryH
Thank you all for the feedback, it is very much appreciated. I will turn the track 180 degrees, putting the switching yard at the front. Move the hill and create a few more. As far as products for scenery, I will try to utilize whatever I can obtain locally for little or no costs. If they don't work well, I will have to but the real stuff.

I am thinking of maybe making the center section elevated, possibly multi-levels to allow for bridges and tunnels. I have to step back and think on it for awhile. I will not be on as much for the next few months as I have to get these home improvements done. This list just keeps getting longer, now painting the exterior of the house has been added to the list. All in a days work, I guess. Thanks everyone.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4715 by TerryH
Considering my poor eye sight, I decided to leave the switch yard where it is. I can not see the alignment of the wheels to the tracks. I must use a rerailer to set a car on the track and I always place it on the closest track and then drive it to where I want it. My biggest concern is problems with the switches and I rather have the three main lines at the closest location. Problems in the switching yard do not require immediate attention. Thanks again for the suggestion.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4719 by goobnav
Replied by goobnav on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Looks good Terry,

Go with your gut on how you want the layout to come out. Either way you are doing a good job so far and I like your ambition of the yard and the 3 short mains. Down the road you be able to expand off of that current setup. Keep up the good work.

More
14 years 10 months ago #4743 by TerryH
Back to the design board. I am not happy with the ovals and the flatness.

More
14 years 10 months ago #4759 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Terry's Layout
Terry,

We don't have a track plan yet but I've been doing a bit of research on the subject. Here are a few links I found that you might find inspiring in some way. I don't think any of them are in Z scale, but nonetheless, here they are...

www.oldcrows.net/~patchell/hobbies/mr.html

www.katousa.com/track-plans/scenic-ridge.html

www.katousa.com/track-plans/richfield-fond-du-lac.html

www.building-your-model-railroad.com/model-railroad-track-plans.html

:)

More
14 years 10 months ago #4760 by TerryH
Thanks Beverly, I'll check em out, I have finally worked out the layout, at least in my head. Currently doing some landscaping and should have the basic form in a week or so.

More
14 years 9 months ago #5206 by TerryH
This is the first section of the new layout. I decided to complete this section before laying out the remaining sections. Spur lines are likely to change as required.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds