Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

And so it begins

More
15 years 1 week ago #3782 by Mr. White
And so it begins was created by Mr. White
Here goes nothing...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #3783 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:And so it begins
mmmm. wood glue
Attachments:

More
15 years 1 week ago #3786 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:And so it begins
Zac, Most of us started right there! Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 week ago #3788 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:And so it begins
Good start Zac.
Don't forget that a couple of wood screws can't hurt either. And by building light weight with the frame.....1x4 or even 1x3 or less depending on the module size, you can cart these things around a lot easier.

Keep it up,
Loren

More
15 years 1 week ago #3794 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:And so it begins
At least you've made a start Zac. Keep up the momentum. I'm still waiting to finish renovating, THEN I'll be able to get under way.

More
15 years 1 week ago #3803 by stickboy
Replied by stickboy on topic Re:And so it begins
Good start Zac

Are you going to build to the Z Bend Track standard?

Phil

More
15 years 1 week ago #3806 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:And so it begins
Phil,

What exactly is the Z Bend Track standard?

More
15 years 1 week ago #3808 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:And so it begins
Bev,
I'm not Phil, but here is the link to view what Z Bend Track is all about.
www.zbendtrack.com/

Basically it is the standard by which most portable modules made in the USA are constructed so that any module can join up with any other module and be compatible for running.

In this way, modelers from anywhere that use the standard can mate their modules up with any other module and thus build large layouts anywhere they choose to show.....usually at train shows.

At NTS last July in Anaheim, California, we had about 20 or so modules in a very nice configuration that allowed multi trains to run at one time, (DCC) and great viewing for large crowds of show goers.

Loren

More
15 years 1 week ago #3809 by Mr. White
Well I found one of the trains I want at a local hobby store, it comes in one of the MTL kits. Once I get the kit I am going to make stencils of the tracks and try to run a layout with siding that lays out to the ZBT standard. The thing is I really want gradients and they don't allow it on side track but they do allow it in the back ground or as scenery track. The next step is to think of a layout where I could do something like that logically and not make it look like a bunch of train track running around one ontop of the other for no reason. I have seen some rail lines like that around where I live in Benson (just down the road from Tucson where I am at.)that go over and under, but I still want to do more research. Also the wiring looks really tricky in ZBT so I would have to buy one of those wiring kits, or have my father in law help me because he's and electrical engineer.

So to sum it all up,

Yes I used wood screws in each side and finish nails around the top luan panel. Foam is going ontop of that. I used 1x4 second pine and one redwood brace in the center (I ran out of 1x4 and had that lying around unfortunately that put some weight in it.

Zbendtrack? Hopefully I can make it work. The layout is 2x3 and the frame is built to standard.

More
15 years 1 week ago #3811 by Socalz44
Zac, Let me understand this better. As I see it Z-Bend module standard is something that allows you to have a module, not necessarily a layout, attached to other modules at events like trainshows. I'm not clear, is this what you want? Is there a local Z-Bend standard club in Tucson? A module is a module and a layout is a layout generally. Lajos has a layout within a module, but he is a master. Within 2'x3' you can get away with an figure eight in the middle with the four straightish tracks on either side for module hook up. It seems to me that you should probably choose soon between layout or module. Hope this makes sense. Maybe you could post a drawing of your track plan. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 week ago #3812 by Mr. White
Jim,

I have very limited space so I would like a layout. If I could make it work as a module too that would be even better. There are a few people here in Tucson that have talked about a zscale club and I would like to be part of that if it happens. The layout I have been looking at is this one I was going to see if I can make it work and modify it a little bit to get the lines for ZBT. It's just an idea.

Zac

More
15 years 1 week ago #3813 by Socalz44
Zac, I understand. Adapting this particular layout to Z-Bend is going to be difficult if not impossible. Realize that a module has 4 tracks that MUST be perfectly aligned with other modules. You are asking a lot to get anything like the layout you want to fit inside these 4 tracks. Also, I had a simpler 2'x3' layout published in Ztrack May/June 2006. You may want to give that a look. Another thing. You are using a plan that utilizes Marklin track. One of the key parts of this layout is Marklin curve turnouts and turnouts in general. If you have the skills to trouble shoot and fine tune these turnouts fine. Marklin track is not very prototypical because of tie spacing, but this is not a really big deal. As for running the 4 Z-Bend tracks into and out of your layout I'm thinking this won't work. The whole idea of Z-Bend and trainshows is to run long trains with minimal hassles, ie. no derailments, varied scenery on each module, something for the public to gawk at, that sort of thing. The trains I've seen at trainshows are sometimes 50+ cars long. No way they are going to be able to run on your layout without mishape. My best advice is go module if you have a club with commited members OR go with the layout. This hybrid worries me. Look at this another way. You can always build a 2'x3' module and store it in the closet later. It is modular. It comes apart my definition. Go with the layout. Cheers, Jim CCRR

More
15 years 1 week ago #3814 by stickboy
Replied by stickboy on topic Re:And so it begins
I too do not have the space for a large permanent layout, so I hit on the idea of using modules which can be set up and taken down as necessary. Therefore before I can run trains I will need to have made two end modules, but then I will be able to add to it as time and space allows.

AFAIK no-one else is making ZBT modules over here in the UK, but if anyone ever does, and they build to the same standard, then mine would be compatible.

Cheers

Phil

More
15 years 1 week ago #3817 by Mr. White
I think I'm just gonna do the layout then since I have no club here yet. I appreciate all the input. I made stencils of all the mtl track so I am just going to use that for now. I still want to do a grade and an over under so I might run my layout at an angle. Either way I'm going to sketch it all out and then I'll post pics. I think I just want too much in a small layout so I need to focus on making my point of view clear and concise.

Zac

More
15 years 1 week ago #3818 by Beverly56
Hi Zac,

Take lots of time and try several drawings before deciding on the layout you like best. We've got a 24" by 80" European layout in the works, but we are still in the early "thinking" stages (at best!) with it. Even though a person might want to jump right in, taking a bit of time to line up your priorities beforehend will give you a better chance at creating the layout of your dreams :)

Your enthusiasm is great B)

More
15 years 1 week ago #3821 by zthek
Replied by zthek on topic Re:And so it begins

We've got a 24" by 80" European layout in the works,

It's a miracle, but if you add only 3 Inches to the 24" width, you'll be surprised how much more can be accomplished on a 27" wide layout. Here is the link to my old European layout page. This site is "dead" for about 5 years, but somehow still works (without the possibility of updating).

Lajos :)

More
15 years 1 week ago #3823 by Socalz44
Now your catching on. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 week ago #3824 by Beverly56
Lajos,

We're not going to do a very complex layout on the door, but we will consider making it a bit larger. Both Chris and I are pretty unsophisticated when it comes to turn outs and those complexities. I do, however, love your website B) Thanks for posting it. I will get many useful tips for modeling European landscapes from your photos. We will also have Plexiglas over our layout and to see how you did it will give us more ideas. The Hungarian layout shows an interesting way to create elevation. Overall a perfect website for us B)

More
15 years 1 week ago #3828 by Mr. White
Im gonna have to agree with Lajos now, I was just measuring things and a few more inches would have allowed quite a bit more track and scenery, it has to be something about MM to inches;)

Zac

More
15 years 1 week ago #3843 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:And so it begins
stickboy wrote:

I too do not have the space for a large permanent layout, so I hit on the idea of using modules which can be set up and taken down as necessary. Therefore before I can run trains I will need to have made two end modules, but then I will be able to add to it as time and space allows.

Cheers

Phil

Phil, this is exactly what the Wasatch Z Club is all about!!! Our club builds its modules to be both our show setup, as well as our home layouts. Like most z scalers none of us have a lot of space for layouts, and the thought of building detailed scenry on modules that had to be stored away in between shows and not run was not for us. Our club members have home end loops we build to allow us to run continuiously at both home and shows. We old bring two loops to shows when we hook up together, but each of us have pairs of loops at home to turn or modules into home layouts.

So you can have the best of both worlds. Phil, i like your stlye and way of thinking, to bad you don't live out here in the intermountain west, otherwise we would welcome you as a club member!!!

Tony B..
Wasatch Z ClubB)

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds