Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, April 20, 2024

MTL Abrams Tanks

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #18222 by DAZed
MTL Abrams Tanks was created by DAZed
Wasn't exactly sure which forum to post this in so feel free to move it (or let me know and I"ll move it) if this isn't the best place....

I came across these Army tanks on the Z-Scale Monster page.
www.zscalemonster.com/mt/994-00-000/994-00-015.jpg

Here's the link to the page with the listing: www.zscalemonster.com/mt/994-00-000/so.htm (scroll about 1/4 way down)

Were the tanks offered as separate loads? Anyone know if any are still around? (individual tank loads or the entire flat car and tank sets)

They look like some variant of Abrams M1A1's which is essentially what I need for my military train. This isn't a project I'm currently working on, but I have been casually looking for M1A1 tanks so I would have a source once I started down that path. Never knew MTL did them, but if so and if they are still available this would be great news. I'm guessing they aren't, but thought I'd check. I did send an email to MTL, but wanted "perspective from the street" so to speak. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #18223 by TailUK
Replied by TailUK on topic MTL Abrams Tanks
If you're not familiar with this guy already try www.z-panzer.com/index.html he does some modern American vehicles. There are also 1:220 pieces available through Shapeways.

More
7 years 1 month ago #18228 by DAZed
Replied by DAZed on topic MTL Abrams Tanks
Thanks. I have seen the Z-Panzer stuff. They do have some nice things and a couple of items that would be valid for my train but from what I can tell they don't have any M1A1 variants.

More
7 years 1 month ago #18229 by TailUK
Unfortunately they don't but I still haven't give up hope that a 1:220th scale Abrams will show up on Shapeways. How many would you want?

More
7 years 1 month ago #18230 by DAZed
Initially I'll need 15-20, . Eventually probably double that.

I agree we'll probably see one on Shapeways, but I was more curious about the MTL version...they look pretty nice from the photo, and I assume resin? So they would be ideal.

More
7 years 1 month ago #18231 by TailUK
The MTL tanks require assembly and are only available with the runner pack. I was thinking of modelling some for myself using the MTL ones as a guide. I'd do this as a series of cast resin pieces. So I could perhaps make a mould for you too.

More
7 years 1 month ago #18233 by DAZed
Well, some more searching and I came across this:
MTL-799 43 939 Modern Tank
www.zscalemonster.com/mt/799-43-000/799-43-939_08-2014.jpg

As found on the MTL Loads archive page here:
www.zscalemonster.com/mt/799-43-000/so.htm

So apparently they were not only available once but twice as separate loads. September 2011 and August 2014. (right before I got into Z, of course.)

Having that part number still hasn't helped....nobody seems to have them in stock.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #18238 by kevsmith
Replied by kevsmith on topic MTL Abrams Tanks
The MTL tank looks good but my oh my it is heavy. I've got a couple on my modern image military train but a lot of them would be unpullable. I've got a lot of Z-Panzers Hummvees which are spot on but but have bought a lot of his Leopards after finding the Canadian Army got a load second hand and they have been known to come over the border

They are beautifully cast and I have got two other era military trains on the go

WW2 with Z panzer Shermans, GMC 6x6 trucks and MTL wrapped shermans

A sort of 50-60s one with M48 pattons, M113 APC again from Z-Panzer

both of these run on Cuyahoga, my Nickel Plate road layout

Seen here are Andy's Shermans and the MTL wrapped ones

Kev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kez, DAZed

More
6 years 10 months ago #18249 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic MTL Abrams Tanks
All you might have to do is contact the designer at shapeways Like Z-Panzer and most of the time they will do one for you I have done this for several people as long as I have time to do it but I'm not into the tank design myself! Also check with Gerd he was also doing some tanks with laser cut metal!

More
6 years 8 months ago #18259 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic MTL Abrams Tanks
I have these they come in several type of tanks I have place a Z scale figure in the photo hey say 144 but look not to bad!
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #18261 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic MTL Abrams Tanks
Hi Doug. Slightly off topic, but here is a link to a guy on Shapeways making Bradley's and a AAV tank in 1:220 and the pricing is not too bad either. Shapeways - Michael Machines
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAZed

More
4 years 8 months ago #18299 by DAZed
Reviving this somewhat old post with some updated info. But first, just wanted to say thanks again for all of the replies and information.

So, as I mentioned before, the MTL Abrams tanks are available as stand-alone loads, and I have managed to collect quite a few.

I also picked up one of the runner packs with the 60ft flats. I sold off the flats and kept the loads and ended up making out pretty well on the deal. One note about the runner pack...the tanks--while virtually identical to the stand-alones--are 100% resin. Compare this to the stand alone models whereby the body and turret are cast metal, and the tracks and barrel are resin.

So between the runner packs and picking up the individual loads here and there I now have around 24 of them! That's the good news. The bad news is, I should have inspected them more closely early on in the process, as they really aren't that great as far as the quality of the castings go. There are a couple of random blobs and the rear part of the turret is not rendered very well. And, the turret has an odd angle on the underside unlike anything I've seen in real life. I probably spent an average of around $9-10 each on these, so it isn't the end of world but I probably wouldn't have bought quite so many had I paid closer attention from the git-go.

So, my plan is to use the MTL Abrams as-is for now...clean them up, primer, paint, assemble, decal. I will try to move forward with my DODX flat project to put together 12-15 of them for now. (12 for the existing 24 tanks, and 3 for some other heavy equipment that will be modeled.) Eventually I will explore options for replacing at least a few of the Abrams tanks with more high quality models. This could mean the Z-Panzer version which seems to be very nice, or possibly a Shapeways rendering. I only need enough to put on the front part of the train for the photo ops so picking up a few of the Z-Panzers will probably be even if I can't catch them on sale.

There were also some 60ft flats in the train I'm modeling that carry smaller equipment. I have gathered 6 of the flat cars, and also bought 12 of the Z-Panzer M2A2's that were on a fire sale at MBK. I need some more flats and some more of the smaller transports but it's coming along.

Not sure if I posted this here yet but this is the information about the train I am modeling:
www.facebook.com/mockind/posts/623723808024300

• Heavy-Equipment-Designer
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #18307 by Heavy-Equipment-Designer
Replied by Heavy-Equipment-Designer on topic MTL Abrams Tanks
They run 3 axle buckeye trucks with two Abrams on one flatcar. If your looking for 3 axle buckeye trucks for your 60 ft MTL flat cars, I have 3 axle roller bearing buckeye trucks (also journal box) available at my Shapeways store.

www.shapeways.com/product/H8ZS64M22/roller-bearing-buckeye-trucks-for-mtl-flatcar?optionId=142476003&li=shops

-Jon

More
4 years 1 week ago #18309 by DAZed

Heavy-Equipment-Designer wrote: They run 3 axle buckeye trucks with two Abrams on one flatcar. If your looking for 3 axle buckeye trucks for your 60 ft MTL flat cars, I have 3 axle roller bearing buckeye trucks (also journal box) available at my Shapeways store.

www.shapeways.com/product/H8ZS64M22/roller-bearing-buckeye-trucks-for-mtl-flatcar?optionId=142476003&li=shops

-Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the link. Actually, I bought a bunch of these buckeye trucks from you (at least, I am pretty certain it was from you) back before you had the roller-bearing version, figuring that I could file down the "hood" on the others and they'd be close enough for Z. I'm going to go forward with those for now, but once I get the cars fully done I will be replacing them with your new roller-bearing versions.

I have not really made much progress on this project. Bought a couple more TTX 60ft flats and more importantly I came across a gentleman that actually knew about all the equipment on the train I am attempting to model. He has been extremely helpful with my research. I still have a few things to iron out but now it really is going to be about moving forward with the actual modeling. The biggest obstacle right now is not having an airbrush rig set up. But eventually I'll have something to show.

More
3 years 11 months ago #18310 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic MTL Abrams Tanks

2 M1 Abrams (MTL) on a custom etched with white metal underbody 68' HD DODX Flat Car with 3 axle Buckeye trucks.

The M113's (Z-Panzer) are on a custom white metal with laser wood deck 60' HTTX Flat Car.

Hobo Tim
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds