Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 25, 2024

Small Track Plans

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8624 by David K. Smith
Small Track Plans was created by David K. Smith
Jim, I think this may be what you're looking for--

www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8625 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Small Track Plans
Yes, David thank you ever so much. I can't believe I lost this. Thanks again, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8626 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Small Track Plans
I think these guys are cool..I know a lot of people want to get away from the tiny layouts, but if you are on the road, you could have a lot of fun with some of these ideas.
www.carendt.us/index.html

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8628 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:Small Track Plans
Bear in mind that it's much harder to convert small track plans from larger scales down to Z. The problem is that track geometry becomes critical in tight spaces, especially with respect to switches. Other scales have many switch sizes with which to work, whereas in Z we only have a couple. It's far easier to scale down room-sized layouts for Z because you have wiggle room to make adjustments.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8633 by saundebn
Replied by saundebn on topic Re:Small Track Plans
For scaling down from other scales, large plans or small plans, I recommend being a little loose with the scaling factor ... for example, use a divide by 2 factor for HO to Z scaling (as opposed to divide by 2.53) as it helps to address the potential tightness issues that David mentions and besides it adds a bit more spaciousness to the layout while still being a substantial savings in space. :)

For N to Z, I recommend dividing by 1.25 (as opposed to divide by 1.375).

More
13 years 4 months ago #10127 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re:Small Track Plans
Last night in chat, it was brought up about some new Z scale layout designs using MTL track pieces. David Smith has designed 18 Z scale layouts with the smallest layout being 20" by 36" and the largest layout 24" by 80". I think he hit the mark for the Z community. One of the biggest weaknesses for Z scale is that there really is no layout book like other scales have. I really think this is a must have bookmark: jamesriverbranch.net/plans.htm

And just as a reminder we have over 40 links to many Z scale sites. This is something we started this past August. If there are other sites we should link to, let us know.

John

More
13 years 4 months ago #10149 by Harry
Replied by Harry on topic Re:Small Track Plans
Thank for tip, John B)

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds