Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

US Z Lines Europe

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #13107 by Mattias
US Z Lines Europe was created by Mattias
Hi, some of you have already heard or read about the US Z Lines in Ztrack Magazine. They are based in Germany at Case Hobbies, the so called OWL Division. Other members live across Germany and Austria. The last big event was the US Convention in Germany last October. During my last visit I made a few films, which I´d like to share with you.
The first 2 videos were shot with a lighter cam

Trains meet

Across the layout

Container train

Enjoy!
Mattias
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #13110 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re: US Z Lines Europe
Mattias, great videos!!! I really enjoyed the video from the cab view. The shining rails is such a wonderful site. Do you have a photo of your camera car? I would love to see it. I have been wanting one for my layout for sometime.

Rob

More
12 years 1 month ago #13113 by Mattias
Replied by Mattias on topic Re: US Z Lines Europe
Hi Rob,
I have taped the camera on a piece of wood which fits in the hole of a MTL Husky. So it gives the feeling of a cab ride.
Greetings
Mattias

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
12 years 1 month ago #13114 by ztrack
This is very interesting. What type of camera is it? It appears to be a USB powered camera. Do you have a manufacturer or link? This has some real potential!

Rob

More
12 years 1 month ago #13115 by Mattias
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThat´s right, the camera is connected via USB. I bought it at a German electronic Discounter, about 30$. It´s similar to this one, but I guess the quality is better.

Greetings
Mattias

More
12 years 1 month ago #13117 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: US Z Lines Europe
Rob, I've got a car specifically designed to hold these cameras in the works. I've been waiting to finish a layout in order to shoot some footage before they go to market, but I've fallen behind with other projects. I've been planning on selling the cars with the cameras included. Looks like I'd better get myself in gear and get some out there for sale.

Joe

More
12 years 1 month ago #13118 by ztrack
Joe I think you got a product there! I know quite a few folks would be interested in these cars.

I just ordered 2x to test and sample the video. I am looking forward to testing these cameras.

Rob

More
12 years 1 month ago #13134 by Mattias
There is already a radio equipped camera car in Germany available, but nothing about the price is said:
fbc-maschinen.de/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=54
Greetings
Mattias

More
12 years 1 month ago #13137 by Zcratchman_Joe
Mattias, I’ve checked into this camera you mention and if I remember correctly I was told the price is around US $280.00. I believe this was just the cost of the wireless camera, not the camera inside a car/loco. I did not check into it further because I felt the cost was prohibitive for most people (including myself).

Since then, I’ve ordered an identical camera/receiver elsewhere and I’m hoping it should arrive any day. I will then know more as to what it might fit inside of, or how I wish to develop a product(s) around it.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that the first camera car I mentioned developing stores its video on a micro SD card. Stick the micro card into an adapter and then stick the adapter right into your computers SD slot and you may transfer the video anywhere.

With the wireless camera (or as you put it, a radio equipped camera car), unless ones owns a multimedia computer with video INPUT, all they might be able to do is watch the live video on a monitor or possibly record it on a VCR or similar device.

With that said, I’m also checking into devices to allow one to bring this live video right into their computer to record it there for later viewing on, say, a web site like ZCS.

If things work out, I would then be able to offer two types of camera cars suitable for most computer set ups, or video recording.

Joe

More
12 years 1 month ago #13138 by Mattias
You´re sure right, Joe. This car will have his price, I wouldn´t pay. It´s interesting, if you run it on a layout on conventions where you can attract people with the live picture. I agree, I´m happy with the Micro SD card in my cam. Looking forward to see yours, is it gonna be an American prototype car?
Greetings
Mattias

More
12 years 1 month ago #13139 by Zcratchman_Joe
I'd like it to be a NA car or dummy loco because I run NA, but I think a non-distinct car/loco would really be the way to go. A lot depends on the camera and I don't have one "in hand" yet in order to get a good look at it. Time will tell.

Plus, I still need to figure out a way to power the camera. Normally it takes a 9V battery, but a 9V sure won't fit on a Z car, sooooooo, it's off to the drawing board on that one. I just wish I was better in electronics!

Joe

More
12 years 1 month ago #13140 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Re: US Z Lines Europe
I use 3 3-volt button batteries to power my wireless video car. I'd like to have a way to power it from the track also as the batteries can get expensive if you can't find a good deal when you need them. I've got a video camera that allows me to record from the wireless camera. I just connect the cables from the receiver to the camera. I can remove the card from the camera and plug it into my computer or I can connect the cable that came with the camera to connect it to the computer or TV. Visitors like to watch themselves on the monitor when I run it at train shows.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #13141 by Zcratchman_Joe
Yes, I had thought about the button batteries but you're right, the cost could take some of the fun out of it, however they can be found on eBay for next to nothing.

And yes, as I said a VCR or a similar device (like your video camera). I’m pretty sure I’ve also got a source for inexpensive RCA to USB video capture devices, so going directly into a computer might not be that difficult either.

Still a lot to work out though.

Joe

More
12 years 1 month ago #13146 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: US Z Lines Europe
Rail inspection car. Yep Yep

More
12 years 1 month ago #13147 by Zcratchman_Joe
Kelly... I've got a clear Track Inspection Car ready to go too. Everything is set to go for production however, as usual, I'm waiting on other people before that can happen. I'll make another phone call today and see if I can put a burr under someones saddle.

Joe

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #13153 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re: US Z Lines Europe

Zcratchman_Joe wrote: I've got a clear Track Inspection Car ready to go too. Everything is set to go for production however, as usual, I'm waiting on other people before that can happen. I'll make another phone call today and see if I can put a burr under someones saddle.

Joe

No pictures? :dry: Sounds like vaporware, Joe. :whistle: Are you following in the AZL, IM footsteps? :blink: I know you can do better than them. ;)

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds